Saturday, May 7, 2011

Another Surgery

Thursday I spent another day in another hospital. This time I was having a Basal Cell Carcinoma cut out of my lower right eye lid. I was more nervous about this surgery than I was about the large tumor in my abdomen. Why, was it because it was on my face - was it because I couldn't be blessed twice? Honestly, I couldn't tell myself to let this go. I arrived at the facility and as surgery they were running late (as always). My nerves were just getting the best of me. As I lay there I prayed that God would just give me peace and settle my nerves. I could handle every thing else, just give me calm. As the nurse came in and was making a pin cushion out of me - even though I was trying to tell her which veins to use. Finally she said, "I should listen to you, you know your veins.". She stopped and stated she'd let the anesthesiologist start the IV since she apparently couldn't. Seriously! By the time the OR nurse came and the anesthesiologist and the doctor got in there I was just about ready to go home. I told Dr. Merritt, that I really didn't appreciate the fact that his office charged me 100.00 for having to reschedule my appointment for a medical reason but he can be an hour and 40 minutes late for my surgery and it is no big deal. I could have stayed home another hour and half and not been up there sitting around doing nothing.
The surgery went great. As Carol the OR nurse stated, Dr. Merritt was worth the wait. I had twilight sedation and I can't remember anything after the medication hit my system. My eye does look good. Surgery started close to 1 and I was out of there by 3. He actually wanted to repair my left eye where I had a place removed 20 years ago but I wouldn't do it. I was so stressed out and I'm really glad I didn't. Icing one eye is hard enough. I slept thru most of Thursday evening and even Friday is a blur and that is on mild pain killers. The worst is I got sick off of the drugs they gave me on Friday evening (happens about 24 hours after a procedure with me). This happens every time, except with the da Vinci and they used the patch. I tried to tell the doctor but he didn't listen.
It's Saturday and I look pretty good. I still have to sleep in a reclining position for another couple of nights and ice my eye as often as I can. The good news is I'm thru with this surgery crap. The better news is I can get on with my life of fighting and beating cancer. My goal is to be Fabulous by Fifty and I'm just 10 months aways.

No comments:

Post a Comment