Monday, August 22, 2011

Take That Cancer

I did it! Not by myself of course! But I managed the last week of the hardest days. Less than 4 months ago I never imagined that I would be sitting in a Hotel Room in downtown Minneapolis writing my blog about just walking the 3Day here. Having a huge tumor removed from me sitting on my sofa that week in April there was no way I thought I would be doing this today. But with the grace of God and the support of the Encouragement and Nourishment team I did it. Take that Cancer. I always call this week of our show week - Hell Week. First it begins in Dallas at the MAPPS show. You set up on Sunday, Show on Monday. I flew to Houston this time love those $59.00 dollar flights. And thanks to great friends like the Pauley's and Mr. Deveau to help with hauling and shipping I was able to get items here and there. So on Tuesday was Set up for HPPA show and then Wednesday the Show and flew home that evening. On Thursday, I did all the follow up and samples and flew out on Thursday to MN for th 3Day event. Dinner with Reed and Lorenzo was Awesome! A little sushi and we were doing great! Friday began the event of a lifetime (I say that each time - I know). This is my 5th 3Day and each one is a awing event in my book. It's like I've never walked another. Opening always makes me cry - I don't care how many times I've done it. The pictures Laura took were so endearing. Our Encouragement and Nourishment team is great (Laura, Heidi, Greg, Reed). We could not do this walk without them!!! The cities in MN came out in full force. I love them and so did our Angels. The weather was perfect. The view incredible. We were able to sit on Jody's couch and take a picture. Jody was a woman who after every treatment just wanted to come home and sit on her burgundy couch and after she passed away her husband brings that couch out on the 3Day and sits it in the best views on the route and allows walkers to sit and take pictures on it. It's an incredible story! I had read about and could not wait to see it. Yes, I'm bawling as I write this. I was able to get a button with Jody's picture on it and she will walk with me from now on. I gave her husband a huge hug and told him thank you. We had to walk up stairs to cross a highway - we I reach the top I scream out over the expressway - "F U Cancer" and I have to say, that made me feel so much better. I finished 17.5 for the first day. Much more than the the 5 I had promised the doctor. Saturday, we started early and thankful with a full cup of coffee. I didn't know at times if I was going to be able to finish but by gosh I was going to do it. At lunch Shelley, Alyssa and Tracey joined us and I swear that gave me a little energy. I forgot to show Tracey that I had her sister, Snooks' picture on my "memory hook". She lost her battle from breast cancer and I carry her with me when I walk. I was happy for my TX friends to meet my MN friends. That always makes my day. Shelley gave us a fantastic dinner suggestion and we went to Acqua for dinner. OMG was she right. Great food near the water. Sunday, it was difficult to crawl out of bed but we did it. Again, with coffee in hand we headed out. Minnesota nice is so right. These people AWE me. I love them and I would love to come back and do this walk again. So, I have blisters and a few bruises. I love, love, these people. They rival the TX people in hospitality. Sunday, we sat down for a long lunch then we kicked some booty up a hill and saw a perfect hilltop view of downtown St. Paul. It was worth every pain to get up that hilltop. We ended up raising 5.3 million with 2100 walkers. I won't stop walking until I find a cure. We cleaned up and headed out for a surprise dinner. Our crazy Encouragement and Nourishment team had surprised us with a dinner boat sunset cruise on Lake Minnetonka. Our own private cruise - Just Us!!!. I loved it. 15 of us on a boat eating, drinking. Having the time of our lives. I'm looking back to less than 4 months ago sitting on my sofa and thinking I wouldn't be walking this - I just did it! Take that cancer!

No comments:

Post a Comment