Saturday, September 4, 2010

Football Season has Arrived!

Well, college football season has finally arrived. I survived a long summer in between. Around my house, a house without football, well, it's not a pleasant house. LOL! I love football season, high school, college, pro. I will even watch old football games on the weekends just to get "my fix". I don't know how my family puts up with me. My man will come home and find me with the NFL channel on and a game going and sound asleep. My ring tone is the NFL Fox football sound. I won't change it for anything. This week while at the airport in Dallas I found a shirt that read "I love Cowboys Football" Love and Football were in pink my favorite colors. Thursday night for date night - the Cowboys game and chicken from Bubba's. I'm sure glad my honey loves me.

I was in Baton Rouge and New Orleans on Monday - Wednesday this week for work. I actually had a little fun while there. I'm not able to do that often but when I can, look out world. My friends and I went on a ghost tour in NO. Let me tell you, the only goons I saw, were the one's I was with. Seriously! It was a waste of money, but not time when you spend it with your friends. I enjoy living! I did partake of a shot! It was a small one this time - thank you! Last time I asked for shots in New Orleans, I almost lost my Diamond privileges from Hilton. That will never happen again. OK, I better not say never. But I did learn a valuable lesson. Shots in NO, are not your typical shot glasses. They are party size glasses and when you have to gulp down shots in two drinks instead of throwing your head back on one. You are in trouble. Of course people would say that is what the T stands for in TJ. Seriously! I'm really a good person. I try to tell people that - when they asked why I was named Humanitarian of the Year.

I thought I was never going to get home on Wednesday though. I was to leave on a 4:10 flight. They boarded us, they shut the door and then the pilot said, we aren't leaving for another 2 hours and 45 mins, and "we don't know what we are going to do with you all". Now, as my friends have pointed out, I should be used to this comment. But a plane load of people were highly upset. At 6:00 they told us to board again, and then they told us, "your flight has been cancelled". I thought there was going to be a riot. Fortunately there was a 6:20 flight to Dallas delayed until 7:30. I finally arrived home at 11:00. I was just grateful to get home. These are just little things in life. The funny thing is I was on the plane and I was starving. My friend Nancy had kindly given me a wine bottle filled with nuts before I had left that day. When the flight attendants came around I requested an orange juice no ice and water no ice. I began to open this bottle and the flight attendant, tells me I can't. Now, I'm starved, a little (OK, alot) cranky at 9:00 and I look at her and say, yes I can. She states "mam, you cannot have alcohol on the airplane unless we serve it". Now, I'm thinking, you can't get thru security with less than three ounces of anything in a 1 quart baggy and she thinks I boarded with a wine bottle full of wine. I'm beginning to laugh and I hold up the bottle and say "NUTS". She looks at me and doesn't say I'm sorry, she just starts rolling the cart down the aisle. OK, enough said. It had been one of those days, had it been alcohol, I would have drank it down before we boarded the plane! LOL!

I've had some good training walks on Sunday and Tuesday. Sunday I was able to get in 7 miles. It felt great to know that I could still do it. And I did it all by myself, not with the team. Then while I was in Baton Rouge I got up and did 3 miles on the treadmill. I hope to get some good walks in Sunday and Monday since we have some really nice weather here in TX. Thank you mother nature for being better to us.

I can't believe I have just four weeks until my first walk in October in DC. I'm looking forward to it. I love being with the team and raising money for such a good cause. I'm also looking forward to being in TN with Jane and her family to do a small walk there. It will be good training too.

I think back to all that is going on this month. I made a decision to start having my condo cleaned every other week. This was something that was a major decision for me. You see I have this word in my vocabulary that I don't use very much. The word is "help". I used to not use it at all. I just didn't believe in it. When I was first diagnosed 7 years ago with cancer, I told very few people because I didn't want people to feel sorry for me, when people did find out they were always asking me what they could do for me. Then when I was told that I had less than I year to live. I had to make a decision, to start asking for help. To tell those around me what I needed when I needed it. I wouldn't even tell the doctor's when I was in pain because that meant I would need to ask for medications to deal with it. That is how bad I was. I learned thru a workshop I attended that HELP is not a four letter word like I always thought. It is okay to ask. So, I decided to have someone come in every couple of weeks and do the things around the house that I just don't have the time nor the energy anymore to do. And you know what, it it OK!

Next week is another busy week. But for now, it's football all weekend, a couple of training walks and most of all, I'll continue my affair with my 5 pints of Cinnamon Buns ice cream in the freezer. This time it was the honey who brought them home. Seriously, life is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment