Friday, February 26, 2010

Taylor Cheyenne - Happy 21st Birthday

21 years ago today I gave birth to my daughter Taylor Cheyenne. She came into the world at 5:00 AM via C-section at 6lbs 14 oz, 181/2 inches long. She was due on March 7th my birthday but due to Tom Landry's firing by Jerry Jones the night before I went into early labor. My water broke at 2:26 AM. I felt that strange stirring, after all this was my third child (I had two boys) and my water had broken with Lariat. I gently got out of the water bed(yes it was 1989), walked with my legs together and the moment I sat over the toilet it broke. I cleaned up and went to wake Eddy, who was suffering from chicken pox (he and my 4 year old had them)and told him my water had broken and knowing I would have to have a c-section started making the phone calls. After all we lived 30 minutes from the hospital. We lived in a small town of 700 people. I called my girlfriend who would have to go into delivery with me (she was pregnant with twins) since Eddy couldn't with the "pox". I called my mom and dad to come and get the boys. I called the hospital so they could get everyone ready for me. Before we could get to the hospital my contractions were just minutes apart but nothing was happening. I labor quickly but nothing opens up. My doctor apologized when he arrived. Apparently they forgot to tell him that I was in labor, just that my water had broken. There was debate about whether Eddy could come into the hospital since he had chicken pox and finally he was allowed but wouldn't be allowed in delivery, since he apparently was passed the contagious stage, my girlfriend wouldn't be allowed in the delivery due to the fact that she hadn't taken classes with me. So, I would go it alone this time. All the buzz in the delivery room was about Tom Landry's firing and I of course didn't mind since I was a huge Cowboy fan and knew that was the cause of my early delivery. Taylor arrived appearing beautiful and robustly crying. The nurse there kindly took pics for us. She looked healthy. It would not be until 2 weeks later that we learned that Taylor had a very severe heart defect and that she had Down Syndrome. My Mom said she feared when she saw her the first time after delivery but when the doctor didn't mention it, she tried not to worry about it. But when we were sent for some heart testing 2 weeks later the doctors there told us they felt like Taylor had Downs and would like to test her. From that day on we never noticed we had a Down Syndrome child, it was a fight to keep her alive with her heart. She was a beautiful child, with an angelic way about her, her smile and attitude, but she just had a really bad heart. On Nov. 8, 1989 she died after 9 1/2 hours of open heart surgery while they were trying to repair the hole in her heart. I never prayed so hard that day. Not that God wouldn't take her but that He would make sure that He took care of her no matter what the outcome that day. I left the hospital that night knowing that I was going to be okay. I knew Taylor was being rocked in the arms of Jesus as we drove home. I had no doubt. From that day on, I've grieved but I also knew that God had a plan. I didn't ask why as I knew God had given me angel to care for awhile and it was time for this angel to return to his care.
So, as I looked thru Taylor's book tonight I reflected on her life, brief, but bright and loving and so cared. She was a little girl with a big heart. She was loved my many and the church overflowed with flowers and people. Every year on her birthday, no matter where I am, I let a balloon go and have a piece of cake in her honor. Today, I had 21 pink roses delivered, she would have loved them. Happy Birthday Taylor Cheyenne! I know that you are safe and sound and now your Dad is up there with you. I hope that reunion was AWESOME!

No comments:

Post a Comment