Thursday, August 5, 2010

Training and Raising and Kindness

I've been home two weeks in a row. It's so nice to sleep in your own bed, make coffee in your own coffee pot, sit at your own dining room table and read your hometown paper. I love it! If you've every been a road warrior you would know.

Training for the Komen walks has been going well. This week I sat down and sent out my "begging" letters. Yes, when you are doing two 3Day walks and having to raise 2300.00 per walk, that's 4600.00, that's a lot of dough you have to raise plus they are taking place within a month of one another. I hate to ask for help, but I know I can't do this alone. My friends are terrific people and if they can help they will. Plus my team puts a ton on me because I'm in the promotional business, so I'm the one looking for the t-shirts, cups, napkins, pins all for our fundraiser on September 18th. That's really asking my supplier friends for free stuff. We are doing a "Pretty in Pink" themed party. We are gathering items for the silent auction and we have dinner and all you can drink. It really is a great evening. Sharla would be so proud. If you don't know about Sharla, please go on our website http://sharlasangels.org and read her story. She was an amazing mother, sister, friend. And I'm so honored to be a part of the Sharla Schooley's Angels team. She would be proud of Jason and Shelva and how they have honored their sister. It will be hard this year going on the walks without her. There will be a deep crevice but I know that she will be with us in our hearts. I do these walks because I know that some day there will be a cure for this monster we call cancer. I just know it. I hope and pray everday that I'm still alive when that day comes. That is why that I try to stay so strong now and participate, because I know that should I not survive this, that I would still want someone walking and raising funds. I have benefitted from cancer research dollars, they have kept me alive, so why not keep raising the dollars to help others. Someone did it for me. So I walk because I still can. Seriously!

I received news today from Komen that they weren't going to allow me to check in for Dallas until I had raised the 2300.00 for Washington. I had already signed up and began the check in process for Dallas when I had decided to fully commit to Washington. I was still on the fence. First of all, could the body hold up again this year to two walks, I was testing it out under the training and it has, so I did the sign up. So, now I have to bust rear to get the money raised instead of relaxing a little like I did last year. I'm not going to stress about it, I have angels watching over me. Ha Komen, bet you don't have as many angels as I do!

The training has gone well this week. I think I'm going to join the team on Sunday for an 8 mile. We shall see then. The feet have held up well, no blisters, so the prayers have helped. Thank you all for those. This week, could I ask for prayers that He works out all my fundraising plans. No hassels would be just fine, that's all I'm asking.

BTW, when I walk, I write name of all those that have lost or won their battle with this monster. I also wear a remembrance necklace. If you know of someone you would like me to "walk" for or if you want to send me a picture to wear, you can leave me a comment here or send me an e-mail to tj-garrett@sbcglobal.net. I'm serious about this! This walk is just as much about defeating the monster too! Seriously!

My third grade teacher taught me this Henry James quote "Three things in human life are important. The first is to be kind. The second is to be kind. And the third is to be kind." Thank you Miss Jean. I hope I made you proud!

No comments:

Post a Comment