Saturday, May 8, 2010

Oh What a Night...

Wow, what a night Wednesday turned out to be. I knew I was going to New York for a reason. I've know for about 7 weeks. On March 12th I received a call telling me I was being awarded the Bess Cohn Humanitarian Award by ASI. I actually sobbed while I was on the phone with Tim Andrews. First of all, Sharla had just passed away that Wednesday, the 10th, and she was the biggest reason I had started wanting to do these Komen walks. I had shingles when Tim had called and it had just been a really bad week and the fact that ASI thought I deserved such an award of distinction, well it made me cry.

So Wednesday, Jane and I, after, we went to GMA ,and by the way was able to be on TV a little bit, Anna, Jane's daughter said she saw us. Anyway, we moved over to a new hotel, closer to the awards ceremony. We rested most of the day and then we started into "beauty" mode. I had fretted over the perfect dress for weeks. I had found it and the shoes and still nervous about the dress until it was on and we were ready to walk out the door and then I knew this was THE DRESS! I really felt pretty in it! I really did!

We saw my coworkers downstairs and they went ahead of us in a cab. Jane and I waited and waited and then we saw a big bus back up into another cab and go crunch and then all of a sudden Jane said come on and we were getting into the back of a town car. We arrived at The Plaza in a black town car instead of a taxi, it was so nice. Cost more, but what the heck. We walked inside and who was standing there but the owner of my company, Alan Vaught. Yep, "the waterworks" began. He had flown all the way in from LA just to be there for this event. Wow! I was overwhelmed. We went upstairs and ran into my customers and friends Teresa and Shelly Moisant. I had guessed that Teresa was there to receive the Woman of Distinction Award and I was correct. I was so nervous. I was to give a thank you speech and was so sure that I had it down, note cards in hand and all. But guys when Debra and Matt Cohn began to talk about me and how their grandmother would have been proud of me and all that I do and when they asked me to come up and the audience stood up and began clapping and I got up on stage. Well, tj garrett was pretty much speechless. As Alan and Jane had told me "speak from the heart" and I did. I couldn't remember my speech, even with my note cards in hand. I couldn't even glance at them. I was overwhelmed. The rest of the night was a blur. People were coming up to me and telling me what an inspiration I was and how I made them want to do better things, etc. I had the time of my life. It was great. I was really tired when I arrived back at the hotel! All I can say is Oh What a Night and one I will never ever forget!

Jane and I flew home on Thursday. I must admit, I was ready to come home and I'm so glad I did. I awoke on Friday morning at 3:15 to a ceiling that was leaking due to the neighbor's stopped up AC unit. The award winner was back to reality pretty quickly. I had just enough time to get the samples out to the closet, dress, get in the car, head to chemo and call for help on the way. Life is never dull.

I didn't feel great yesterday, really tough day, I don't know if the chemo was kicking in early or what but wow. Dana managed to get me a new computer. Mine would have been 5 in June and I really needed one. Any way when it arrived I let Jason and Dana know it was here. I now have Skyping ability on it and they called me. I wasn't looking so hot. I have to remember that next time to make sure I have clothes on when I "answer" my computer. LOL!

We've just been laying around today. Resting up due to the fact that the Hunter man and his dad Lariat and Chance is coming over tomorrow. Ashley has to work. I did send a gift to her last week. Lariat said he hid it and will give it to her tomorrow.

Life is good, no matter what, I wouldn't change this crazy world I call mine. I really wouldn't!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so proud of you! I have read every blog post you wrote about NYC tonight and laughed and cried all at the same time. You amaze me! I hope to have half of the energy you do along with the positive attitude!

    ReplyDelete